This page lists relevant books and other types of publications relating to enamels. Each listing provides a link on where to buy.
The Society also:
- has a lending library available to members
- sells aprons and catalogs and CDs of previous Society exhibitions
Because we are Amazon associates, if you use our Amazon.com links for books or anything else on their site, The Enamelist Society gets a small % of the sale. So help support our organization by buying through our links to Amazon.com. For most publications below, just click on the title or cover image to access Amazon.com.
- 500 Enamel Objects: A Celebration of Color On Metal By Lark Books
Part of the Lark Book 500 Series. More than 300 international contemporary artists have contributed museum-worthy pieces. The broad technical applications include everything from simple sifting and torch firing to complex cloisonnÃ© and plique-Ã -jour.
Overview of all crafts, pictures, where to show
American Craft Council
72 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012-4019
Tel: 212-274-0630; Fax: 212-274-0650
- Antique Enameled Jewelry by Dale Reeves
with Robin Allison
(Schiffer Book for Collectors)
192 pps., full color, hardback.
Box 502 * Benicia CA 94510-0502
Designed exclusively for visual fine artists. Each issue is hand-selected and checked for accuracy. A complete sample issue is available on request from.
West Coast Contemporary Art. Lists juried exhibitions online and in the magazine.
PO Box 52100
Palo Alto, CA 94303-0751
Tel: 800-733-2916; Fax: 262-495-8703
- Assorted Pearls & Gems
Enamel Guild South's Book of Tips on Enameling, copyright 1991 by Enamel Guild South, Inc. To order, contact Donna Buchwald, 8100 SW 92 Avenue, Miami, Fl 33173, (305) 595-5767
- Beginner's Guide to Enamelling By Dorothy Cockrell
Intended for real beginners, each project building on the previous ones for a progression. Aims to give student ideas to try each technique and then develop their own designs from it.
Publications by Charles Lewton-Brain, jeweler
PO Box 1624, St. M.
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1E3, Canada
(403) 263-3955 Fax (403)283-9053
- Camille Faure: Impossible Objects By Cork Marcheschi
This book is notable for a number of reasons: fascinating story of a studio, Beautiful, in depth photographic coverage of the stars of the piece: the bold and fearless enamel vases which were the most important output of the studio, details of enameling techniques which have been buried along with the masters who developed and practiced them. Click here to learn more.
- Cloisonne Enameling and Jewelry Making by Felecia Leban and Louise Mitchell
Dover Publications, Inc. New York, © 1980.
Lilyan received the Enamelist Society's 2005 Woodrow Carpenter award. This new book, a hard cover, enlarged edition of Enameling with Professionals (out of print, but used copies are available) is 192 pages, with eleven new texts and over 350 color photos by 88 enamelists. 34 experienced enamelists share their specialized knowledge - only $39.95.
- Dictionary of Enamelling, History and Techniques by Erika Speel
Ashgate Publishing Limited, England, © 1998.
- Edge of the Sublime: Enamels by Jamie Bennett by Jeannine Falino
In conjunction with an exhibition (2008 ) curated by Jeannine Falino at The Fuller Craft Museum, this beautifully illustrated new book by Jamie Bennett, one of the most important enamelists today, has been published now. Full color. Hardcover. 150 pages.
- Enameling Art Live, The World of Modern Enamel Murals by Toshiko Tanaka
Tanaka works in large-scale enamels. Paperback, 7.25" x 9.5, 88 pages, full color with English translation attached. $25 (includes airmail shipping). Available from Mr. Jiro Ota, Publishing Division, Hiroshima Chuo Printing Co. To receive $25 discounted price, payment must be via International Postal Money Order only.
by Denise Palmer, Peter Williams (Photographer), Jane Moore; Publisher: Lorenz Books; October 1998
- Enamel, Enameling, Enamelists by Glenice E. Matthews
Chilton Press, ISBN: 080197285X, 1984.
- Enameling on Precious Metals by Jeanne Werge Hartley
- Enameling - Principles & Practice by Kenneth F. Bates
The World Publishing Company, Cleveland and New York, © 1951.
International enamel newsletter
PO Box 920220
Norcross, GA 30010
Va Nostrad Reinhold, NY 1972. Out of Print, but a great book if you can find a copy
- First Steps in Enameling by Jinks McGrath
The Wellfleet Press, A Division of Book Sales, Inc., Edison, New Jersey, © 1994.
Magazine for enamelists. Enamelist webring
650 Colfax Ave.
Bellevue, KY 41073
(859)291-3800; Fax: (859) 291-1849
Publication for information pertaining to jewelry industry. Publishes an annual sourcebook. Wholesale member's site.
- Limoges Enamels at The Frick Collection by Ian Wardropper and Julia Day
The extraordinary collection of Limoges enamels, from the late 15th through the early 17th century, acquired by Frick in 1916 from the estate of J. P. Morgan.
D Giles Limited, London, U.K. ©2015
- Metalsmith Magazine a publication of The Society of North American Goldsmiths
Jewelry, metalwork, enameling, great photos
540 Oak Street, Suite A
Eugene, OR 97401
Tel: 541-345-5689; Fax: 541-345-1123
Current trends, jewelry, beads, wearable art
PO Box 452
Mt. Morris, IL 61054-0452
- Step by Step Enameling by William Harper
A Complete Introduction to the Craft of Enameling © 1973, Golden Press, New York
- The Art of Enameling: Techniques, Projects, Inspiration by Linda Darty
This book covers all the popular techniques, the fundamentals of setting up a studio, and 14 fabulous projects.
Full color book with all enameling basics, 21 projects with step by step instructions, comprehensive troubleshooting and over 170 finished enameled photos by 71 contemporary enamelists. Click here to learn more about this book. After a second printing, this book is now out of print.
- The Thames and Hudson Manual of Etching and Engraving by Walter Chamberlain
© 1972, Thames and Hudson LTD, London. Excellent if you are etching Champleve or Basse Taille.
- Thompson Enamel Workbook
Edited by Tom Ellis
Available at Thompson Enamel. Excellent technical information.
- Vitreous Enamels: A Bibliography of Processes, Objects, and Enamelists by Jean E. Tudor
Copyright 1994. Soft cover, plastic spiral binding. 261 pages. (Half of profits donated to The Enamelist Society.)